5.01.2010

Ode to Ted


















I first met Ted Kennedy Watson in 1999, when I was just starting my company, four corners design.  My first greeting card line were 24 designs that were all handcrafted, encasing different natural elements under a shealth of organza.  Ted had a showroom at the Seattle Gift Center as well as a fabulous shop, Watson Kennedy Fine Living, in Pike Place Market.  Ted represented my line in his showroom and carried my cards in his store.  The first time I visited his shop, I knew that we were simpatico - he treasured the same quirky things that I did - old keys and clocks, vintage papers, birds, Paris/London/Europe, fine soaps and exquisite candles.  He needed additional sales help at the store on weekends so I helped out on a regular basis for a time.  Over the years, I learned alot from Ted that I have put into my business:  Do what you love and your enthusiasm for your product will be infectious to others.  Treat everyone with graciousness.  Quality is the standard.  Life is too short not be enjoyed.

A couple of years ago, I worked with Ted on a special project - he has a small studio adjacent to his weekend cabin and wanted to add interest to the large interior wall.  Armed with my vast numbers of old books/documents/maps and my Elmer's Glue concoction, we covered the wall with torn pages.  The ochre/cream/ecru tones blended seamlessly with the decor.




Yesterday, I was in Seattle so I stopped in to see Ted.  He now has two stores in Seattle - a second shop south of downtown in addition to the Pike Place location.  He has a renown reputation to pinpoint the perfect gift - he is cited in the May issue of House Beautiful magazine.  His ability to display his wares in the most interesting vignettes is a source of fascination...

still love those birds...













and Paris is always popular...






























 

































Votivo candles are my favorite - the Rosemary Garden scent is wonderful















Bailey, Ted's canine companion















So if you're in Seattle, stop in at one of the Watson Kennedy shops - or visit the website at www.watsonkennedy.com - it will be a delight for your senses.

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails