10.05.2010

Obsessed

There's just no other word to describe it...there are times when I get an idea in my head and I just have to run with it.  Such is the case with the covered button magnets I recently made.  Now I know that this is not a new idea, but I just hadn't tried it so thought I would give it a whirl.  I had a couple of those cheap metal trays (the ones that look like they are silverplate but aren't but since they are steel, a magnet will stick to them whereas magnets won't stick to real silverplate trays) which I left outside in the "rusting area" over the winter.  My plan was to make the metal trays into message boards with three covered button magnets per tray.

I rummaged through my drawers of sewing supplies and found these metal button packages- doesn't she look like the height of fashion!

















The directions are on the back of the package and the pattern for the fabric circle is included.













With the metal button parts, it was easy to pop out the shank so that the button will be level when completed and it will be easy to glue on a magnet.  I used Amazing Goop All Purpose Adhesive to attach the magnets to the backside of the buttons.  Amazing Goop is one of my favorite glues - it is strong, good for a variety of surfaces, dries clear and if you have too much glue and it oozes out over the edge, you can remove the excess by rubbing it into a little ball and picking it up- very similar to rubber cement.













I made several button magnets out of burlap - the hot fabric of the moment.  I then scrounged around my fabric piles to see what else I could find...

This bee fabric was perfect for the size of these buttons...













which were the perfect complement to this upcycled metal message board!
now what else can I find in my fabric pile to make into button magnets....?

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails