5.07.2011

Love of letters






















To say that I have a love affair with type is an understatement..there's just something about the graphic quality of letters & numbers that is so appealing (which helps to explain my fascination with clocks and typewriters!)  So when I saw this idea on the blog, Anything Goes Here, I knew that I just had to try it for myself.  I emailed Joan to ask for permission to recreate her idea and she said it was fine - but please link back to her blog - so visit Anything Goes Here - it is filled with inspiring ideas, great photo vignettes and a link to her etsy shop where you will find wonderful vintage items for sale...

I have a healthy assortment of wood type so I knew I had plenty of raw material for this project...what I didn't anticipate was the amount of patience I would need...trying to configure a composite block with all of the sides flush and no empty spaces between letters was a challenge...much like putting a puzzle together...





















Once I had the blocks designed, I used a little dab of Liquid Nails on the sides of each letter...I worked on top of a piece of wax paper...I've learned from experience not to leave glued projects to dry on top of a table without protection...



















With some of the blocks, I incorporated words into the mix...others were random.  I let them sit overnight to ensure the glue was dry and then I brushed on a light coat of matte medium - this gave a light sheen to the letters, brought out the wood tones and added another layer of adhesive. 














I drilled a small hole into the top of each block and inserted a metal memo pin; I covered the back of each block with a piece of black felt to give it a finished look...
...and they were now ready for their "photo shoot"!
thanks Joan for the inspiration! 
And you can see plenty of fabulous, inspiring ideas at Funky Junk Interiors where I'm participating in Donna's Saturday Nite Special.

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails