7.15.2011

Try it, you'll like it!

While I was in Yakima last weekend, my sister and I shopped at the Farmers' Market on Sunday morning.  Since the weather is drier and warmer on the eastern side of the state (as opposed to where I am - cold and wet!), the selection of produce at this time of the year is far better than what I can get at my local farmers' market.

There was plenty I brought home for week night dinners...apricots, garlic, green beans, zucchini, kale...and arugula.  Now, I had never tasted arugula before - never really gave it much thought...but the owner of Punkin Center Farms was extolling its virtues to another customer so I munched on a leaf...I loved the peppery, fresh taste...I bought a bag and concocted my recipe...


My plan was to make a salad...
washed the arugula...





















sliced up the apricots...
























made a balsamic vinaigrette with the garlic and a little red onion...
























as well as simple marinade for a couple of boneless chicken breasts...I like to add the marinade to the breasts in a plastic container with a tight lid and then shake it all up...the marinade is evenly distributed and flavors the chicken nicely.
Once the chicken was sauteed, it was time to put the salad together.  I lightly dressed the arugula, sliced up a chicken breast, added the sliced red onions and apricots and topped it off with a sprinkle of gorgonzola cheese.  With a side of homemade three seed bread, it was the perfect farmers' market meal.
Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special which is focusing on healthy meals...it all makes sense...if you're out looking for junk, you'd better be in good shape 'cause its not an easy task!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails