9.14.2012

Menage a trois

It was a simple project...a gathering of three...






























Each unique and having admirable attributes...

a distressed metal lamp base...residing in my basement for the last 8 years...




















a wooden spindle...or perhaps a table leg...I bought a set of three many years ago...
I figured that if I used one, I still have a pair for another project (whatever that might be...)






































a wooden top...most likely from a lazy susan I took apart...


























I began my assembly...first I painted the wooden top a lovely gray color...both sides and the edges...three coats.  Then I painted a large flexible washer that I had which fit perfectly over the center in the metal lamp base, leaving just the hole exposed..



































After the table top was dry, I needed to attach the spindle to the top...for a preliminary attachment, I used a hanger bolt...one end screwed into the center of the tabletop and the other end screwed into the center of the spindle...I added a dab of Liquid Nails adhesive...never hurts to have extra protection...






The hanger bolt helped to align the center of the tabletop to the center of the spindle but was not sufficiently strong to hold the top in place...I used four chair supports as a brace on each side of the spindle...since the original metal color was a little bright, I sprayed each with a coat of gray primer to knock down the shine...always remember to drill pilot holes when screwing into wood...makes it so much easier...and straight!































To attach the metal lamp base, all I did was thread a lag bolt up through the hole in the base and screw it into the wooden spindle...again, remembering to drill a pilot hole in the spindle so the bolt went in straight and secure.

Once I had it all together...the gray top looked a little bland...a piece of toile pattern tissue paper and my collage mixture of Elmer's glue and water helped to liven up the top...once it was dry, I sanded it s-m-o-o-t-h and buffed it with three coats of wax...





















And then it was complete...a very French threesome...married into one charming side table...







































A fine example of synergy...each part unique in its own right...
but when combined together, something better is created...







































Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special...where synergy abounds...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails